Queen Charlotte grew up around a sawmill which was built in 1908. The hotel was built two years later to house the workers moving to the new settlement.
Its original name was the Premier Hotel, because it was built next to Premier Creek, a small creek which runs along one side of the property. It changed its name to the Haida Hotel, but this changed back to Premier Creek Lodging a few years later. In 2022 Queen Charlotte also changed its name: it's now called Daajing Giids.